When Sanitary Grocery Stores of Washington, D.C., decided to spin off their chain of food markets in the Baltimore-Washington region in the late 1930s, the Washington outlets became part of Safeway and the Baltimore area stores were acquired by G. E. Lowman. He renamed them Twin Food Stores after his first grandchildren, twin girls born to daughter Ruth in 1937. The stores were converted to modern-style supermarkets, among the first in Baltimore to introduce the concept. Also offered was shop-by-phone service, with home delivery of the customers' grocery orders by truck. In addition to the Twin Food Stores in Baltimore, other locations included Arbutus, Catonsville, and Towson.
© Copyright 2010 Atlas Communications PO Box 5534, Baltimore, MD. 21285 All rights reserved.